Sunday, July 24, 2005

Keep cool, Nashville

Ah yes, Nashville. The flowering metropolis of my youth. The clubbing metropolis of my 20's. The city I desperately wanted to leave for years, and missed so badly when I left. The city in which I still vote, and will remain to vote, as long as I live overseas (note to self: the no box is the best choice for anyone named "Frist").

Well, here on Mt. Olympus (and in the rest of Greece), it has been hot. And humid. I'm not sure exactly what the temperatures were up to, but they got pretty damn high. Certainly upper 90's. No, they don't do "feels like" temperatures here. And now I see poor Nashville is about to suffer the "feels like" temperatures of 108° during the day, and 80° at night (seriously, that is way too warm for nighttime). I remember it well, dear Nashville. And I too, suffer with you. I remember using kitchen utensils to swim through the air when I took my evening walks. I remember the gallons of water I consumed after a short stroll through Percy Warner Park. I remember the thirsty dogs, the sweaty boys, and the heavy air.

At least the nights are pleasant here. Still, it is nice being reminded of something I don't miss about Nashville.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is really hot! And it has been really hot for a long time now. Channel 2 did a story yesterday on power useage being at an all time high. You don't see many people on the streets and the peak hours begin around 3pm for the heat. Hopefully some relief by Thursday. Hope you are staying cool.