Friday, July 01, 2005

The Voice of Reason

It is a sad day for justice in the United States of America, as Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor has announced her retirement. She was the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court (her appointment is a memorable moment from my childhood), but I also saw her as the voice of reason, someone who made her decisions with a true regard for upholding the U.S. Constitution, instead of bowing to one side or another.

Everyone knew she might retire, but I had hoped it wouldn't happen.

I could say more about it, present quotes of her memorable decisions, landmarks in her career, but I won't. I am sure there are thousands of other weblogs and news stories out there that will do just that. I will suffice by saying thank you to Justice O'Connor, for being the voice of reason all these years.

No comments: