Sunday, July 31, 2005

Oops! I did it again

Sarcastro over at Watching the Defectives has come up with a funny caption for this photo of Britney Spears.

Now, let me say seeing the photo at first was a bit of a shock, on many counts. I am not a fan of Ms. Spears, but her icon has infiltrated popular culture, so I am familiar enough with her appearance and music. I realize that being pregnant in the summer isn't fun, and women need to wear clothes that are comfortable to them. So I can't really say my issue with the photo is her choice of clothing, although it does give credence to the white trash moniker. My issue with the photo is the cigarette she is smoking - well, the cigarette she is lighting, presumably to smoke.

Now, I try not to be one of those sententious types that goes around telling people what they should do. But Mrs. Federline has agreed, if only by virtue of her fame, to be a role model for hundreds of thousands of teenage and pre-teen girls. Not that I would ever let my child (if I had one) purchase a Britney Spears album in the first place, but with images like this out there, I think I would be less inclined to let a young daughter be dazzled with her music or her fame. Not that Britney has a career to speak of anymore, unless you count all her corporate holdings, which I am sure counts for a lot of money in her pocketbook.

High price of fame, indeed.

1 comment:

Kat Coble said...

She's just gotten pretty gross overall, I guess.

The smoking was what got me, too.