Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Something to talk about

Every time I sit down to make a post here, I realize there are ten billion things I could talk about, just in news stories alone. Add the personal experiences of life in Greece to that, and there are almost too many things with which I could bore the world of the web.

I'm not primarily a political blogger by any stretch of the word. I do have political opinions (duh) and will occasionally posit them here. I prefer to tell stories that are mirthful, that some people might find humorous. But most of all I blog for myself, to give myself a forum to blast off about things, to chronicle my life, and to empty my mind of all the things I think about on a daily basis.

When I woke up today and turned on CNN, I felt overwhelmed. Not that it hasn't happened before, but today I was in an ill mood and felt barraged by a phalanx of horrible stories, bombs in Spain, villagers burned to death in the Congo, irresponsbility in the White House, explosions in Beirut, agony over those still missing in London. Among all these stories, a few small glimmers of hope: The upcoming launch of Discovery, a newborn panda surviving its first 24 hours, the first marriage of a gay couple in Spain. Yet these days the hopeful stories seem to be fewer, perhaps not as important to the media.

In the end, I still try to be an optimist, even though it seems I cross into the oxymoronic territory of the pessimistic optimist. I don't have the solutions to all these problems, and I know there is no easy answer for any of them. But if there is one thing we can all have, it is hope. And if Londoners can be defiant and strong in the wake of such tragedy, then so can I. It just seems hard sometimes.

No comments: