Saturday, July 23, 2005

Ways to reach the Great Beyond

Well, we all know that Johnny Depp has been tasked with shooting Hunter S. Thompson's ashes from a custom made cannon. Now, it seems recently deceased actor James Doohan, of "Beam me up, Scotty" fame, has requested that his ashes be sent into space. Apparently, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry had done the same thing, and Mr. Doohan felt that would be a good way to go out.

Houston-based Space Services Inc., which specializes in space memorials, plans to send a few grams of Doohan's ashes aboard a rocket later this year. The remains, which will be sealed in an aluminum capsule, will eventually burn up when they re-enter Earth's atmosphere.

Now, I am not sure I really have a valid comment for any of this. I mean, I love Hunter S. Thompson's work and I have to agree that being shot out of a cannon is a fitting memorial for him. But paying to have a teaspoon of ashes sent into space? I'm sure it works out nicely for Space Services, Inc., but I'm not sure the legacy we want to leave the generations to come is a sky full of dead people. Yea, I see that they will burn up when they re-enter the Earth's atmosphere, but really, is this the kind of thing we need? Are people going to start having to outdo one another's funerals? It makes you wonder what someone like Tom Cruise will come up with - but hopefully the people from the planet he came from will come get him in the end.

When I die, I want my body used for scientific purposes, then they can cremate me, then they can put the ashes in the trash. I mean really, what does it matter?

4 comments:

Rex L. Camino said...

Mrs. Camino has instructed me to have her remains cremated and the ashes used as fertilizer for a new tree, should she expire before me.

I have chosen to remain intact and buried so that Mrs. Camino can live in fear that I will someday be exhumed and she will be found guilty.

I have also entertained the idea of having my remains taken to a really good taxidermist so that I can be made into a coat hanger or something.

Anonymous said...

As a major Trekker and a fan of Scotty I find the gesture appropriate somehow and it appeals to the romantic/sentimental side of my nature. He spent most of his adult years boldly going where no-one had gone before so it seems fitting that he finally makes it into space for real (yes, I know, he can't appreciate it). I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme and all, but a goos send-off is a conforting notion I cling to in the face of the appalling void.
I probably want to be buried intact (my used organs won't be of much use to anyone by the time I'm finished abusing them), although, as an atheist I can't think where...under a tree in the countryside somewhere, away from all the scurry and strife and back to my roots (yes, I know, appalling pun).
Ultimately, I like the competitive funeral notion as much as you do - reminds me of competitive weddings (skydiving or snorkelling couples).

melusina said...

Rex, you know I wondered why noone has ever preserved a human to have around the house before. Maybe you can lead the fad!

Now, I don't have anything against Mr. Doohan. I, too, am a Star Trek fan, although I am only familiar with the movies of the original cast (we do have all of TNG on DVD though). I am just wondering when someone is going to get really disgusting with their burial wishes.

John Valentine said...

I would like my body to be turned into a piece of fine art. If you could just have me posed in a natural position with a beer in one hand and my other hand flipping a bird. After all, if living well is an art why not make death into an equally appealing art form. Also, Flying Dog Ale is releasing a limited edition "Gonzo" brew to help pay for the HST memorial. Let us never forget his words - "When the going gets weird the weird turn pro!" and, of course, "It never got weird enough for me." RIP HST.