Friday, July 22, 2005

Random thoughts

-How does someone end up with the last name Christmas? Is it an old family name? Are they related to Santa Claus in some way? Or did they just not like their old name and thought that Christmas was cheerful sounding?

-Why was the movie Brady Bunch in the White House ever made? Did anyone who watched the show actually think Mr. Brady was presidential material? Of course, we all know I could go through a whole list of movies that never needed to be made, but when you are in America, somehow they manage to slip the radar. In Greece, we get all the crappy movies that were ever made in America.

-The song Walking In Memphis always makes me homesick (even when Cher sings it), even though it is Nashville I miss, not Memphis. I actually don't think I ever made it to Memphis, embarrassingly enough. Of course I would remember it if I had gone to Memphis, but there are a couple of years of my life that are "iffy" in the memory department. I know I thought of going to Memphis a million times when I was headed to Bellevue on Interstate 40. I mean the sign was right there - Memphis, 193 miles or whatever it was. I should have gone.

-It is really hard to believe that somewhere in the world (ie. the southern hemisphere) it is the middle of winter. It's so hot and humid here right now, I think I'm in Maryland! And we all know Maryland even beats Tennessee for hot and humid summers. Even the cats are preferring the air-conditioned room.

Phew. I'm glad I got all that off my chest.

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

Also, I must know, did your husband laugh until tears ran down his face the first time he went to Centennial Park?

I'm just trying to imagine if I went to Greece and saw a life-sized replica of the St. Louis Arch. Would I find that funny or sweet.

melusina said...

He thought the Nashville Parthenon was made out of styrofoam.

Seriously though, I think he just thought it was weird. But he thinks America is weird, which is ok, because America and Americans ARE weird. Although some not in a good way. At least Nashville isn't Vegas.

And on top of that, he isn't an Athenian, so he doesn't "own" the Parthenon like St. Louisians would "own" their arch. Now, if he saw Byzantine replicas of the castle in Thessaloniki, he might be offended. And, come to think it of, regular Athenians didn't seem to think much of the Parthenon, or any of the ancient sites around them. Athenians are too busy being busy to notice the history around them. Too sad.