Friday, July 01, 2005

Vindication

I was 13 years old when the movie Risky Business was released. I don't know exactly how I came upon seeing it, I know I saw it in the theatre, probably with my parents, who were pretty liberal about taking me to see all kinds of movies, even if the topic was a bit too much for my young mind. At any rate, I didn't really like the movie all that much, and its young star bothered me immensely. He was the type of guy I really couldn't stand, the type of guy I still can't stand. But all my friends were screaming about how cute he was, how awesome, etc., etc., and they were absolutely mortified that I didn't find him to be all that. I was too busy lusting after Boy George.

Time went by, and more movies with this young star were released. All the Right Moves, Top Gun, The Color of Money, Cocktail - and in each movie he annoyed me more and more. I couldn't stand this jackass. And still my friends just didn't know what the hell was wrong with me. He was so CUTE, you know? Then came Rain Man, which was a good movie, but he was still his same old pain in the ass self.

In the meantime, I had become quite a fan of the Anne Rice novels, and was highly anticipating a movie version of Interview with A Vampire. Then I found out the asshole actor was going to play one of the lead roles, and I was so disappointed. By this time I had some people on my side, people that knew his prior work and indeed did not think him suitable for the role. Granted, he ended up not being quite as bad as we all feared, but I still think they could have found someone better.

Flash forward to present day. Mr. Jackass has turned into a spokesman for complete and utter freakishness. He has insulted his friends, lashed out at psychiatry, jumped around on couches, yelled at Matt Lauer, and been generally annoying. Now, no one likes him anymore.

I'll just say "I told you so", and rest my case.

No comments: