Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Allegory

Little Toby goes to his dad - you know how we all look to our fathers for wisdom at that age - with eyes wide open and asks: "Dad, will you explain to me how society works?". The dad sits Toby on his lap and gives the best answer he can. "See here, Toby? Society is like our family. Your mother dictates what's going on in this house, she is the Government. I bring home the money, I am the Capital. Marita, our maid, is the Working Class. You my dear little boy are happy when things are going well and complain when we don't fulfill your wishes - you are Public Opinion. And your baby brother there is The Future". With a quick "Thanks DAD!!" Toby runs off to play, content and optimistic.

During the night, little Toby awakens as the baby cries incessantly and no one goes to check up on him. He gets up to get a glass of milk. He passes the baby's room and keeps going. As he passes his parents' bedroom, he hears his mother snoring lightly. As he passes the maid's quarters he observes his father having sex with Marita through the half open door. He keeps going and reaches the fridge. While little Toby pours the milk, the real lesson sinks in, thanks to his all-knowing Dad:

The Capital screws the Working Class while the Government is asleep. Meanwhile, Public Opinion is indifferent and The Future lies choking in shit.

2 comments:

deviousdiva said...

This made me laugh out loud. A rare thing these days. Believe me, I used to laugh a lot more, so I was happy I found this. Even a wry laugh is better than no laughs.

hobbes said...

funny! hahaha