Sunday, October 02, 2005

I miss made for TV movies

Last night, in my infinite boredom, I decided to watch a movie on one of the Greek networks. The title was translated as "The Hurricane", but it turns out the movie was actually called Category 6: Day of Destruction. Wow, you know, I forgot how much I missed those schmaltzy U.S. made for T.V. movies. Sure, when I lived in America I almost never watched them, probably because they were a dime a dozen, and not very interesting. But they do have a inherent laugh factor, be they maudlin family dramas, horrific real life stories or melodramatic disaster scenarios.

This one was no different. It was the quintessential disaster flick, focusing on the destruction of a big city (Chicago) with all the little glimpses of "real" people caught in various traumatic situations. I came into the movie about 30 minutes after it had started, and spend the next couple of hours wondering exactly how a hurricane could hit Chicago. I mean, yea, we all know that hurricanes still can pack some force coming up from the Gulf, even into Tennessee/Kentucky, but not Category 6 force. But I could forget that as I watched a desperate electric company employee get electrocuted by exploding transponders(or whatever the hell they are called), after he ruined the complete electrical grid of the entire United States. There was the stereotypical wise and benevolent federal employee who stood for everything good in the world (*cough*), the family in crisis, the reporter just out for the good story who learns a lesson by the end, the nutty tornado watcher who was chasing a giant tornado that travelled from St. Louis to Chicago (Yes, Chicago was getting hit by TWO major storms at once!!! Oh the drama!). This is when the audience is supposed to come to the realization that "hey, my life isn't so bad, look at what these people are going through!!!!"

You just can't get T.V. like that anywhere else in the world. God bless the U.S.A.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like most American sitcoms, not so much the new ones (Joey etc) but for the older ones.

Some of the best TV programing comes from the States, it's just a shame that some of the worst TV programing comes from the same place! :-)

I personally wish they'd show more British stuff on TV here. Now they make some good TV and I'm sick of having to order it on DVD!

Vol Abroad said...

In the UK, on Sky (a satellite tv company owned by Rupert Murdoch) we have a whole chanel of NOTHING BUT tv movies.

Anonymous said...

One thing I like in american tv is the talk shows. Not the Oprah kind, but Conan O’Brien, for instance. I see him daily on my cable tv. Can you see it in Greece? From England, I like the comedy. After all, that’s the country of Monthy Python.

António

melusina said...

No, we can't watch Conan O'Brien and Letterman here. Nor do we get the Daily Show. Big bummer. =(

The only British show I have ever seen in Cold Feet, and I saw that when I was living in America. I'd love to see some of these popular Brit shows. Maybe someday our satellite service will catch up with the rest of the world. =p

It was refreshing to see an American made for TV movie. I hadn't seen one for so long. It is nice to know they are still making them. =p

Anonymous said...

The Daily Show! Yes!

António