Monday, October 03, 2005

Sweaty wads of cash

In America, I was the queen of the checkbook. I could have my checkbook out and a check written in about 10 seconds. I learned how to kite checks with ease, so I could pay my bills and buy groceries. I kept my checkbook balanced to the penny even between bank statements, and I never had to use their handy balancing system when the statements did come, because my checkbook always reflected my balance accurately.

The best thing about writing a check was the fact that the returned, processed check could always serve as a receipt. No need for messy pieces of handwritten paper receipts, no vague printed receipts, just the check - to, from, amount, endorsed and stamped by the bank. There was no arguing a cashed check. Using cash in America just wasn't done. People who used cash, especially for big purchases, were always looked upon dubiously, as if they were surely drug dealers or mobsters. Not to mention the fact that carrying a big wad of cash around was just asking to be robbed. If you wanted to pay for something, you used a check or a credit/debit card. There were even some places that didn't even accept cash, as crazy as that sounds. I guess some businesses didn't trust their employees taking cash.

Here in Greece, most people don't even know what a check is. There are no checking accounts, and even if there were, noone takes a check. Cash is king here, big, huge, sweaty piles of cash. No payment is too big or too small, as long as you have the cash. People have bank accounts so they can get paid via direct deposit and have a place to hold all their cash. If you pull out a big chunk of cash here, no one looks at you suspiciously, as if you just pulled a major drug deal or bank heist. Everyone takes cash, and some places only take cash (no credit cards). If you want to pay your electric bill or phone bill, you take your cash and pay it at the utility offices or another designated place for paying such bills (you can pay most bills at the post office, for example).

For those of us who are computer and internet literate, some banks have provisions where you can pay your utility bills online now. It saves a lot of time and hassle, and you don't have to carry around your wads of cash to pay the bills. If only the supermarkets here would get those handy swipe things so we can pay with a debit card, we'd be all set. I hate carrying cash, I hate worrying if I have enough cash, if we have to go get more cash, its all about the cash.

I miss my check slinging days. I've probably lost my touch by now. But at least I'm quick with the cash.

2 comments:

John Valentine said...

I love cash. Cash feels good in your hand. The smell of new cash is like a narcotic to me. They should make a perfume that smells like new money.

Infindecimal slice said...

yay cash!