Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Attack of the killer soap operas

It is amazing to me how many countries all over the world endeavor to make their own soap operas. I suppose it is a statement on human psychology, how popular these shows are, despite the lack of intelligent writing, the insensible plotlines, and the horrible acting.

Not only does Greece have their own soap operas, but they import them from everywhere. There is Prisionera, from Mexico; Juana La Virgin, from Venezuala; The Young and the Restless and Days of Our Lives from the U.S., and a host of brand new Turkish soap operas that seem to be all the rage. Some of them are dubbed horribly in Greek, others with subtitles. You can spend your entire day and night watching soap operas here, if you choose to do so.

Aside from a stint of DOOL watching in high school and early college, I don't like soap operas. I don't really understand adults who like soap operas. On occasion, I might turn to one for 5 minutes to laugh at the melodrama and freaky plotline, but for the most part, they annoy me.

The most spectacular thing is that all soap operas, from all countries, are basically the same. The soft lighting, the dramatic faces, the patriarchal families, the young kids who are up to no good. Murder, mischief, adultery, dual personalities - its all there.

Is it satisfying to know that human beings from all over the world are so similar, or is it distressing? Perhaps a little of both. Still, I suppose I shouldn't begrudge anyone their favorite form of entertainment. Even if it is disguised as a soap opera.

7 comments:

Rex L. Camino said...

I didn't love his pharmacy.

melusina said...

Dammit rex, now I have to leave the spam comment there.

Anonymous said...

In Portugal, we have brazilian soap operas all day and all night. I would like to try a turkish one, for a change. Speaking about soap operas, do you remember “Soap”, with a very young Billy Cristal? An hyper realistic soap opera and one of the funniest things I have ever seen in television.

António

melusina said...

Yep, I remember Soap very well. It started when I was very young. I think it was one of the first things Billy Crystal ever did. It is actually available on DVD now!

melusina said...

Damn! I can't believe I forgot evil twins!

Anonymous said...

The best dubbed soap opera was "Sunset Beach", some days you'd find it dubbed then the next episode would be in English with subtitles added. Dunno what was going on there.

Well in our house, we too endure the soaps. My mom insists on watching the Young & Restless and Bold & Beutiful. Both seem to take forever for the story lines to progress so I can walk into the lounge having not seen it for 10 months but still know whats going on.

I suppose we should be happy there's so much choice when it comes to the programs. I'm not a soap person but found myself glued to an Argentinian soap called 'Muñeca Brava' when it was on Star.

I'm also not sure I should admit that I was a total 'Lampsi' addict many years ago, I blame that on being a kid! Not any more though, I've been clean for many years now!

melusina said...

Wrestling IS a soap opera!!!