Friday, September 23, 2005

Just say No

Next week the Senate will be voting on the nomination of John Roberts to be Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. During his confirmation hearings by the Senate Judiciary Committee, Roberts came across as someone unwilling or unable to have an opinion of his own. He bobbed and weaved at incoming questions like a true politician. In the end, I'm not sure I'm convinced he ever really answered a question. Yet, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted in their approval 13-5.

Do any of us really want this man serving as Chief Justice for the next 20+ years? Planned Parenthood has an active campaign against his confirmation. If you would like to write to your Senator to ask him or her to consider voting NO for John Roberts, go here.

Also, Sharon Cobb has posted Hillary Clinton's statement on John Roberts. Read why she is voting NO.

2 comments:

melusina said...

Yea, I like to live dangerously with the spammers, and I hate word verification, heh. Probably because I am old and blind. =p

Granted, I didn't get to watch a lot of Roberts' hearings, only bits I downloaded from CNN and what I read on the SCOTUS blogs. Still, I felt like he was being evasive in ways that were unnatural, and sometimes, it appeared he was answering a different question and ignoring what he was asked directly. I don't trust him, and not in the anti-Republican/hate-Bush sense, but something about him just doesn't click. You can see this adherance to the opinions of others in his history as a judge as well. Sure, sticking with precedent is what the whole business is about, but what if the intention becomes to refit the Constitution to partisan beliefs? Constitutional law is not a partisan subject, and in my opinion, Sandra Day O'Connor has been the only Supreme Court judge who is a model of what a Supreme Court judge should be.

Thanks for the comments Eff! Dialogue is good, if only more people would make comments about things.

melusina said...

Actually, Ginsburg did answer some questions she didn't have to.

To have the Constitution in mind when making supreme court decisions, you can't be partisan. Of course, whether Roberts is partisan or not, only time will tell. Hopefully he will be as precise as O'Connor.

At this point I'm not as worried about him as I am about the unknown nominee. Look at how well Dubya picked his FEMA director. You just never know...