Wednesday, September 28, 2005

There are no words

Ok, I'll admit, I'm not terribly fond of Ben Affleck. He seems affable enough but only when in tandem with that good ol' buddy of his, Matt Damon. On his own, he seems a bit, well, buffoon-like. Of course, I don't know him, so who am I to judge, right?

Why am I talking about Ben Affleck all of a sudden? Because it seems the Virginia Democrats are eyeing him for Senator. You heard me.

The Washington Post reported the story yesterday, other newsrags around the world have jumped on board.

If you liked him as Bennifer . . . you'll love him as Benator!

That's the hot new idea being tossed around by Virginia Democrats, who are desperately searching for a big name to challenge the reelection bid of rising GOP star Sen. George Allen next year, now that outgoing Gov. Mark Warner has ducked out.

Ben's spokesman says the rumor ain't true. Ben isn't quite ready for public office, he is too busy making movies.

Affleck spokesman Ken Sunshine said the rumors are baseless, though "he would be a superb candidate for public office in the future. Right now, he's very busy directing his first feature movie for Disney, 'Gone, Baby, Gone.' "

Of course, it seems the Virginia Dems have also been eyeing John Grisham, so it seems any old celebrity will do.

Another name on the wish list: blockbuster legal-thriller writer John Grisham . But the central Virginia farmhouse owner, who gives generously to Democrats and did a stint in the Mississippi legislature, has brushed off past overtures, sources say.

While I don't really know if Mr. Affleck is politician material, he smiles nice, has a pretty wife, and loves his mamma. And hey, if I am going to have to choose, I'd take an idiot Democrat over an idiot Republican any day. But I guess that's just the reality of politics, eh?

No comments: