Thursday, September 29, 2005

One thing I love about Greece

Here in Greece, I find it absolutely delightful that seasons change slowly and gradually. Autumn temperatures descend over several weeks with no big extremes. Winter arrives just as easily, and when it warms back up again, you get used to the warmer weather day by day.

In Nashville, seasons don't change well. It can still be 95° on the first day of fall, and then two days later, the high is 60° and lows are in the 40's. Then it is back up to mid-80's again. Back and forth, back and forth, through September and into October, then fall temperatures for a couple of weeks, then, boom! wintertime! One day you need just a sweater, the next day you are freezing to death.
I remember one February when temperatures were freezing one day, then in the 70's the next!

I am grateful that such temperature fluctuations don't occur here that often. My old bones just can't take it.

1 comment:

LMR said...

This post made me laugh because I just moved to Nashville from Michigan and I could write the exact same post, substituting "Nashville" for your "Greece" and "Michigan" for your "Nashville."

Needless to say, the temperature extremes seem non-existant to me here in Nashville. You'd better never ever move to Michigan. But who would want to, after all!