Thursday, September 22, 2005

This, that, and the other

My husband is sick. I mean sick. He didn't even go into the hospital today. I am not sick, even though I've had a slightly elevated temperature for the past few days. Even so, I will probably remain not sick until my husband is perfectly well, and then plunge into the depths of horrid illness which will last for a month. When I get sick, it lasts forever. Blech.

Irony of ironies, the guy that yelled at us the other night for reading Harry Potter too loud had a knockdown dragout with his wife/girlfriend/whatever at 1:30am that lasted more than a half hour. And this was no normal fight, no, I heard screaming, yelling, crying, running through the apartment (they are above us), dishes breaking, furniture being thrown about, you name it. While the brunt of it subsided around 2am, the door slamming continued all...night...long. I got NO sleep, thank god my husband slept like a baby. Then today the Yellingtons were at it again, I assume after one (or both) of them returned from work, at 1:30 pm. Maybe they are on a 12 hour fight cycle.

I finished Microserfs last night. I really enjoyed it. I like Coupland's writing, I guess it identifies with my generation. I think he does a brilliant job of combining the soullessness of the consumer society with the metaphysical angst of Generation X. Next on the nightstand is The Kitchen God's Wife, which promises to be a good read.

Ordered two new DVD's: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season 4 and Twin Peaks, Season 1. We ended up going with Play.com instead, because they always end up a bit cheaper than Amazon. Its all about the free shipping.

Fall seems to be descending here in Northern Greece. It was cold and rainy yesterday. Sunny today, warmer, but still cool enough to leave the A/C off. Let the allergies begin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you didn't go and tell the neighbors off after what they did to you. I'd have been hammering on their door reminding them they are not the only ones who live in the building. Especially at that time of the night.

Also I'd have gone complained them again when they started in the daytime. They (he) started the complaining so I'd just apply the same rule!

Anonymous said...

As for Twin Peaks... that program was just WIERD!!!

I remember I was only a young kid when it was on TV and I always remember my cousin being interested in it and deciding when she grew up, she wanted the job of the announcer who always said: "PREVIOUSLY ON TWIN PEAKS" at the beginning of each episode. She used to think they hired someone to do that every week!

melusina said...

As to the neighbors, well, I don't know. I guess I always worry when I hear that kind of violence, that maybe someone is actually getting hurt. And I don't like to interfere or complain because sometimes that makes it worse for the person getting hurt. If it persists, however, I may do something. I don't know what, though.

I was a total Twin Peaks head. I was sooo into it, and I don't know why I never got around to getting it on DVD before. For some reason every fall I get an itching to watch it, so I told my husband that is what he is getting me for my birthday this year. =p