Thursday, September 29, 2005

Do I even have to ask why anymore?

There is a lot of backlash in Greece right now over the fact that as many as 6,000 police officers spend their time guarding Greek "quasi" celebrities instead of, well, being policemen.

My first thought is, how was this ever allowed to go on in the first place? I mean, you dig this kinda hole and it just keeps getting deeper, and then eventually, oops, you fall in. It should have been illegal for cops to have this kind of "duty" assigned to them. Not to mention, what the hell is up with Greek celebrities that they can't get their own bodyguards? Sorry, but if I was actually a super-duper self-important person I don't think I'd be happy with just a simple policeman watching over me. I would want big giant muscular man-arms and 300lb, 7 ft tall giants by my side. Oh, but wait a minute, the policeman is free. Oh, but wait another minute, he isn't free, he is paid for by the Greek taxpayers!

Greeks get upset over all kinds of things: longer store hours, pensions, job stability, the price of produce, the fact that F.Y.R.O.M. wants to call itself Makedonia - but I never see them get mad as hell about the things they should be getting incensed about. Things like the Olympic toilet, the dump situation in Athens, and now this.

Yea, yea, I know. Americans ended up with Dubya in office for a second term. The U.S. is slipping and sliding all over all kinds of government bullshit right now. But come on people, this is Greece! Get mad, take action when it really matters! Do you really want to pay for Annita Panya's bodyguards? She isn't really that interesting, after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It never ceases to amaze me at how Greeks can get so pissed off about the littlest thing and make a national tradgey out of it, but the real important stuff goes down the drain...

Sigh

The SeaWitch said...

I've always said that Greeks will riot over a referee's call in a soccer match but not the state of the country. I have a hard time believing that the country who kicked out the Turks and the junta is the same country today which allows such gross misconduct by their elected officials.