Sunday, September 04, 2005

Sex and cheese

I suppose there are some people who might say cheese is as good as sex, but I never actually thought I'd see a commercial using sex to sell cheese.

Our National Geographic Channel feed comes from the Netherlands, so all the commericals are in Dutch. One commercial came on, the music was romantic, the girl was pretty, and all of a sudden, she takes a big bite of cheese. At the end of the commercial, they panned out to a naked woman lying with two rounds of cheese on each side of her waist, stopping just before the nipples and the pubic area were exposed. It was a commercial for Milner Cheese.

This raises an important question. Do people really need sex to sell cheese? I mean, cheese is tasty, it is delicious, but I tend to prefer not to mix the thought of cheese and the thought of sex. I would think that enough people already buy cheese (Milner even, which is a pretty decent cheese) that they don't need to use sex to entice buyers. Have people stopped consuming cheese in the interest of better health and lower fat diets? Honestly, I can't imagine they have. Cheese is, well, CHEESE! Some vegetarians couldn't exist without cheese.

Perhaps advertisers are just using sex to sell everything these days, although I really doubt I'll ever see the day when they use sex to sell a laxative.

EDIT: Well I'll be damned, here is a link to the commercial. The one I am referring to is the one on the far right on this page. And here is one for the ladies, again, the commercial to the far right.

4 comments:

chez bez said...

And I'm off to the internet to find that commercial!

/such a typical guy

melusina said...

shot baker, buying the cheese won't help you get the girl, sad to say, although she WAS your type.

I'm not certain you can find the commercial on the internet, but more power to ya if you can.

Sure, guys don't mind if you use sex to sell cheese. I still think it is weird.

Kat Coble said...

My two favourite things in one.

Well, maybe not at the same time, but you know what I meant.

melusina said...

Classy guy. /snort And I'm the Queen of England!