Saturday, September 24, 2005

Greece goes to Eurobasket final

Well, not that I am a huge basketball fan. I had my moments of picking the final four in college basketball back in the early 80's, when Michael Jordan still played for UNC.

Still, I can't get over the fact that Greeks play good basketball and that Greeks are fans of basketball. Not that I think there is something wrong with Greeks that would make them not play good basketball, just that basketball doesn't seem very European for some reason. I guess it is because basketball for me was always college basketball.

Still, now that I am in Greece, well, I gotta cheer for the home team. Still, I think I would have rather they qualified for the World Cup than got this far in the Eurobasket championships, but I guess the book hasn't been written on their World Cup potential just yet. Soon, though, just a couple more qualifying games to go.

It was cute, though. I kept hearing a group of guys at a coffee shop nearby shouting and cheering now and then. I told my husband "they must be watching some soccer (oops, football) game". Then we flipped channels and landed on the last score of the Eurobasket semi-final, which marked the win for Greece, and the men outside erupted in loud cheers of happiness and delight. Not soccer (I mean football) for once.

I hope they win the final tomorrow. I figure I'll know what happens by the sounds coming from the coffee shop.

No comments: