Saturday, September 03, 2005

Yellow and blue

Today, we went to IKEA. I had only ever been to IKEA once, and that was also to this Thessaloniki store, so I am still not overly familiar with IKEA-ing. We decided, finally, to buy a mattress, after a month of suffering on the so-called "orthopedic" mattress of yiayia's (my husband jokes that it is orthopedic because you have to see an orthopedist after sleeping on it). Since Beautyrest seemed to be out of the question here, and some other mattress places seemed really expensive (especially since this mattress will be a transition mattress for us, and probably go in the guest room when we move in a couple years), we decided IKEA was the way to go.

Today also marked the first time I actually drove around Thessaloniki. Yea, sure, we drove in from Litochoro now and then, but we always drove straight to my in-law's apartment and that was it. I had my first real Ring Road experience (for Tennesseans, think I-440, basically the same concept at work), as we had to drive towards the airport to get to IKEA. Ready for the rant? Here goes.

Obviously, the same morons who designed the Athens roads had their hands in the Thessaloniki mix, because good lord, you had no warning when a lane would end, or a lane would end in an exit. Exit signs were dubious, at best, and, for god's sake, I had to end up behind Farmer Dan on his tractor with too much traffic coming too fast on the left to get over (and this was our brief stint on the actual interstate, no less, not the Ring Road). And, excuse me, but what kind of road design is having to make a left hand turn of 120°? It was almost as if I was headed back the way I was coming! Sure, ok, I remember Nashville, with its expansive roads that traverse the entire city but change names every couple of miles, but at least the road layout makes sense, and signs are very clear and accurate and warn you with plenty of time for exits and ending lanes and what have you. You don't have roads in Nashville that, at one stop light, you have the option of going any of 5 or 6 different directions (And this isn't a one-time thing in Thessaloniki or Athens, all the major intersections seems to be like this). Luckily for us, we took the city road back straight to the city center, with little traffic and much ease.

As for IKEA, well, love the products, but hate the clusterfuck that is the Thessaloniki (and I'm sure Athens) IKEA. You have to realize, Greece does not have a smattering of Wal-Marts and Targets all over every city, so if you want a one stop place to get linens, towels, pillows, kitchen stuff, lamps, etc., this is it (well, there is also Praktiker, but it is more hardware-like in nature, although it does have these things). And this means everyone in Northern Greece, and possibly some of Greece's northern neighbors, come to IKEA on Saturday. And half these people don't have the common sense to leave their kids in the play area at the beginning of the store. And if you think Nashvillians at a busy Target are bad, you have no idea what Greeks at a busy IKEA are like. Pushing and bobbing and weaving and running around.

Anyway, I'm glad that shopping experience is over, and at least we got quite a few things we needed, including a nice new softer mattress, which will be arriving within the next 10 days, for the cheap delivery fee of 10 euros. A few hours inconvenience for a good night's sleep will be worth it.

4 comments:

Vol Abroad said...

Did you end up buying things you didn't realise you needed and spending more than you meant? That's what always happens to me at IKEA.

melusina said...

Actually, aside from a 1 euro pillow, we did not make any unnecessary purchases. By the time we got to all the good stuff, we were tired out from trying out all those mattresses. =p

Anonymous said...

Just the very name IKEA makes me go all cold and makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

We have a giant one here in Athens which I had the "pleasure" of being dragged around! You start off upstairs and at first you are lulled into the false impression that this is it! I was already looking for something to slit my wrists with but kept telling myself the ordeal was almost over... I followed a wonderful sign that said 'ΕΞΟΔΟΣ' and I honestly believed with all my heart and soul that it was telling the truth! I didn't realize that when it was telling me to go down the stairs again, it was actually so I could be exposed to a whole other floor of flat packed crapola that people think is great cos it's in waky colors. I remember EVENTUALLY leaving the store and walking out into the sunshine. Surprisingly enough it was still daylight when we exited the store, I'm assuming this is because I spent 4 whole days of my life being dragged around that hell hole! Never again! Never never never never never again!

Brings tears to my eyes when I remember the trauma! At least it's something to tell my shrink!

Someone asked me how do you pronounce Ikea in Greek. The answer ladies & gentlemen is: κόλαση (kolasi)

melusina said...

Haha, yes, I think IKEA was actually described in one of the layers of Dante's Inferno.

Well, I like it only from the standpoint of one-stop shopping for household related stuff, and as an American, I am used to one-stop shopping. Trying to buy linens and things in single shops is a horrible experience. What is with the fascination with everything in brown?

I really wish they would get Target exported to Europe. Such a convenient store.