Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Time wasters unite!

We all know the internet became, for most of us who like surfing the web, the biggest time sink ever. Sure you learn interesting things, you meet interesting people, you read about interesting lives, but in the end, well, it has become one of my biggest tools for procrastination ever.

So I was reading this article on the BBC News site about a guy who was looking up his house on Google Earth and discovered the remains of an ancient Roman villa. "Wow!" I thought to myself, and proceeded to finally download Google Earth as I remembered we now had an ADSL connection and could actually run it. So I spent the next hour and a half looking up my old apartment in Nashville, my parent's house in Lynchburg, VA, our apartment in Thessaloniki, our old apartment in Athens, our village on Kos, and our village on Mt. Olympus. We saw all the planes parked at the Athens airport. I was a bit bummed, though, that some areas get better resolution close up than others. But really, what more can I ask for in free satellite search technology? Beggars can't be choosers!

Still, I didn't unearth any ancient remains. I'll probably keep looking, though.

No comments: