Monday, November 07, 2005

My kingdom for a good horror movie

And I am not talking about a classic horror movie. There are plenty of them out there and I've seen most of them and while I can still enjoy them, my heart's desire is a brand spanking new horror/suspense/thriller that really terrifies me.

My husband rented White Noise on the way home today, it is a movie we wanted to watch but didn't have high hopes that it would be great. Now here is a movie that has a nice, spooky premise from which to build a good story...and instead of doing that, it circled the drain. It flopped, in a most disappointing way. The really bad thing about it was it started out fine, had some potential, but as with every new horror/suspense/thriller we've seen of late, it falters on the outcome.

Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, find me a good horror movie! I need to be terrified, thrilled, held in suspense, and satisfied.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"White Noise" (with Michael Keaton, right?) wasn't very good.

Here are some of my favourites:

The Ring
The Ring 2
Haunted (not well known but excellent)
Don't Look Now (very old but one of the best horror films ever)
The Others
Gothica

That's all I can think of right now, more after I visit the video store :-)

Anonymous said...

Me and GAC watched Ju-on (the original version of The Grudge), and I swear she had to sprint across the hall to the bathroom at night for months. That was a genuinely scary movie. Not seen The Grudge, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be quite as good.
Still in the Japanese side of things, I'd suggest The Eye. Its not really scary, but kinda creepy. Stay far, far away from The Village. Ug. I'd sue M. Night Shyalaman for my 3 hours back if I could find the bastard.

Anonymous said...

Don't even watch the American versions of The Ring and go get Ringu

melusina said...

Bah, seen everything on Zork's list except Don't Look Now, and I doubt they'd have that one available for rent here. I actually didn't find The Ring that compelling or scary, but I would like to see the original.

Same with the Grudge, I'd prefer to watch the Japanese version.

I unfortunately saw the Village. He is turning into quite a disappointment.

I don't know about the Saw franchise, that isn't normally my cup of tea, but you never know.

The thing with these types of movies today is that the directors, cinematographers, etc. are getting really good at atmosphere, setting the background, but the writers are really bad at the stories. I need a good story to be fulfilled. A scary movie just doesn't seem as scary if you find the end result stupid or silly.