Sunday, November 27, 2005

The torch is lit

The Olympic flame for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy (big shout to Gia-Gina, who is living in the host city) was lit in a traditional ceremony at the Temple of Hera in the Ancient Olympia Stadium. The torch was lit by the high priestess and handed to Kosta Filippidis, the Greek champion in the high jump, who is the first torch runner. 534 people will carry the torch to its final destination at the Torino Olympic Stadium, which is ready and waiting for the start of the Winter Olympics (hopefully after having learned a few lessons from the Greek hosts last year).

I am totally ready for the Winter Olympics myself, as I love most of the events much more than those at the Summer Olympics. Plus, it is the perfect weather to hunker down in front of the T.V. with a cup of hot chocolate and watch a bunch of star athletes freezing their butts off with their spectacular performances.

2 comments:

Cynthia Rae said...

I saw the torch lighting ceremony in the news yesterday and it made me think of you.

Knowing that I would be living in Italy when the 2006 winter Olympics would land in Tornio, I had planned to go. Now that it is just around the corner, I don't think I really want to deal with the herds of tourists. I think I will take your advise and enjoy them at home with a cup of hot chocolate!
Cyn

melusina said...

No, I haven't started The Plot Against America yet. I am starting with The Stand this time around. Although you are making it sound really intriguing!

Yea Cyn, I'm not sure if it is worth going. You get the best views on television, after all. We didn't go to the Athens Olympics, but then again I'm not a fan of the summer games anyway.