Sunday, August 21, 2005

Four more years

As if four more years of Bush wasn't already bad enough, it looks like the U.S. Army is preparing for the possibility of four more years of occupation in Iraq.

Am I the only one who thinks that there is a greater possiblity of achieving peace in the region if the U.S. backs out, or leaves only peacekeeping/humanitarian support in the area?

Sure, plenty of people will say I'm wrong, but I doubt there would have been such a high rate of insurgency if the U.S. troops hadn't been there.

I feel sorry for the troops that will have to continue to deploy to this battle-worn region. I can't help but wonder what the future will hold for all these men and women, 30 years down the road. I hope they get lots of psychiatric help.

2 comments:

chez bez said...

As the father of a 15 year old who wants nothing more than to join military service, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I support and respect his desire to serve. I just hope that if he fights, it's not in a war where so many of his fellow citizens and soldiers have been misled.

melusina said...

Thats the problem with military service in the U.S. these days - you aren't asked to fight the "good" fight, you are asked to fight the war that promotes whatever the President wants. It is too sad.