Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I know why the caged bird shrieks

As I mentioned before, we are living in a pretty quiet neighborhood. Not much through traffic, not a lot of noise, just some daily activity. Today, however, I couldn't go back to sleep thanks to a caged bird going nutters nearby.

It is fairly common to see caged birds on balconies here, especially in the cities. Until today, I found it a rather nice practice. Most of them send forth their singsong tones pleasantly, making an otherwise drab city neighborhood sound full of life. But this morning, someone's bird decided to scream bloody murder. Now, if it so happens that this bird was watching its owner get bludgeoned to death, I apologize, but somehow I doubt someone was getting bludgeoned to death for two hours. I would have sent the cats on an assassination mission if I had been able to pinpoint exactly where the bird was, but no, it is lost on a balcony on one of the neighboring buildings, its shrieks bursting forth like a death call to the world below.

If only I could get back to sleep...

2 comments:

The SeaWitch said...

Why is it that neighbours think that a shrieking bird is music to the ears? You need a pair of binoculars to pinpoint the offending foul and then pay Mrs. Doolittle a visit. If she doesn't listen, give her a recipe for Parakeet au Gratin.

melusina said...

They probably went on vacation and left the poor bird to suffer. I don't know, but this bird was making the worst noises. I usually really don't mind these birds, they usually don't make too much noise, and it is usually not so cacaphonic.