Sunday, August 28, 2005

Illogical

Greeks have a tendency to be overly paranoid and perhaps a bit irrational about some things, mainly seemingly unimportant things, while the major issues (economy, crime, education) slip through their thought processes. For the most part, I dismiss the paranoia, especially in cases like the F.Y.R.O.M./Makedonia situation, because I see no real justification for it.

But when it comes to relations with Turkey, I don't really blame them. For one thing, obviously Greeks are still a little gun shy when it comes to their past with the Turks, after so many years of oppression and mistreatment, not to mention occupation. The Turkish air force is constantly flying into Greek airspace, waiting for Greek fighters to run them off. There isn't much point to such behavior, aside from proving you are an asshole. And as far as the Turkish government, well, I don't know exactly what they are smoking, but it must be some really amazing stuff, because half the things they do don't seem to make any sense.

Case in point: Their whole refusal to acknowledge Cyprus thing. Ok, fine, you don't want to recognize Cyprus, but why, then, sign a Customs Union Protocol, which was also signed by Cyprus (and all the newest 10 member states of the E.U.), and then turn around and say "well, our signing of the protocol in no way means we acknowledge Cyprus". The first time I heard that, I wondered how they could say that, because signing the document, in fact, recognizes Cyprus, because they signed an agreement that INCLUDED Cyprus. Of course, now the Cypriot government is pointing this out as well. It is common sense, it doesn't really take "four professors of foreign universities" to figure it out. Now I've heard education in Turkey isn't up to snuff, but seriously, how stupid are they? Do they need to go to the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too?

3 comments:

Rex L. Camino said...

My sister's college roomate at Mississippi State was Turkish. She was over here working on her doctorate in biology with a focus on catfish diseases. I don't know if she went back after graduation or if there are catfish in Greece, but you may want to keep an eye out for catfish terrorism.

melusina said...

Well, my post was meant as an insult to the Turkish inability for logic, as evidenced in their refusal to recognize Cyprus, in this case. The refusal to acknowledge the Armenian holocaust is another example of their failure for logical thought.

The Turkish government seems to me to have the emotional maturity of a child who thinks the mother is gone when she covers her face with a pillow. The Turks seem to think that if they deny something, then it didn't happen/doesn't exist. Not that other countries don't do this now and then, the Turks just can't seem to distinguish shit from shinola.

Yes, my insult was wrapped in a blanket of humor, but the more I learn about the Turks, the more incompetent I find them to be (ok, their government, I shouldn't comment on the Turkish people).

No, I don't think Greeks should grovel before them, but considering the Turks outnumber Greek forces by a large number, it can't hurt to be amiable. I am certain that no other world power would intervene if the Turks decided to invade the Greek islands close to its borders. This situation reminds me of the old cliche - keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

melusina said...

Ah, well, Rex can be quite a joker. I'm familiar with his brand of humor, but I guess I can see how other people might not get it.

Of course, you never know when you post something if someone misunderstands you.