Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Who needs sleep

It is no secret that after my husband leaves for work at 7am, I go back to sleep. Or rather, I continue my sleep, because some mornings I barely open my eyes enough to say goodbye. Lately I haven't been doing too bad, getting up around 11am or so, I used to sleep in until 2pm or later. I'm sure those days will come in time, once we get a comfortable mattress.

Well, yesterday I was rudely awakened about 9am by a sound that, had I not had all my wits about me, would have sounded like I lived in a dentist's office. Some workmen, in some apartment nearby, were using some type of saw/drill thing that was incredibly loud. And they used it for three hours straight.

Surely, I thought to myself, whatever they were drilling/sawing would have been done by this morning. Around 9am, I was rudely awakened by a sound not unlike what you might hear if the entire building around you was being demolished. Hammering, smashing, tearing down. After a couple of hours of that, thus proceeded the drilling/sawing. Obviously, they are building an amusement park in one of these apartments.

Now, I know remodeling apartments is a major part of Greek life. I just wish people would do it quietly.

2 comments:

The SeaWitch said...

I hate to rain on your parade but they are allowed to hammer, drill, destroy and make gazoodles of dust from 7:30am-2pm EVERY weekday (maybe Saturday too, I can't remember for sure)...as long as they have a permit. And since this is Athens, ever increasing noise has become a daily fixture in an already noise-polluted city. All I can tell you is that for your next name day, birthday, christmas present (whichever comes first) get someone to buy you SUPER THICK earplugs. It's the only way to retain some sense of sanity.

melusina said...

Yea, I already need the earplugs due to hubby snoring.

But seriously, I don't think I've ever lived in a country so hellbent on constant home improvement. And half the time it is shoddy work, too. Our landlady on Kos actually managed to get people to come on Sundays too, if you can believe it.