Sunday, August 14, 2005

Irony

When I moved to Greece from the U.S., I only chose to bring a few pieces of furniture. Included were my mattress and boxspring, a nice big coffee table, and a small black cabinet. This small black cabinet was a "put together yourself" thing I bought at Target some 12 years ago. It was perhaps a frivolous thing to bring, but it was small, relatively light, and had numerous potential storage uses. This small black cabinet has come in handy in every apartment we've lived in here (usually as extra storage for towels and sheets), and I definitely don't regret bringing it along.

The moving company in America actually made me sign a waiver for the small black cabinet, because it was one of those "put together yourself" things made out of plasterboard (or whatever the hell it is). They told me such things don't survive the shipping process very well, and did not want to be responsible for damages.

Now the small black cabinet still stands proudly and completely intact, after 4 moves. We have furniture that we purchased here in Greece that hasn't withstood the moving process as well (we actually had to throw out a bookcase the last move).

Good thing they made me sign a waiver. Sure as shootin' that damn thing would have fallen apart if I hadn't.

No comments: