Tuesday, August 30, 2005

News - Greek style

I have to wonder, whenever my husband watches the 8pm news on Alpha every night, whether or not Journalism degrees are possible at Greek universities. I suppose Alpha is the lesser of the 5 evils - the networks here that have news on at 8pm. News here is never truly local. Most of the stories concern Athens, a few concern Thessaloniki, and there are trickles from various bucolic locales all over Greece. Stories from the U.S. or elsewhere in the world make the news if they are dramatic enough, or freaky enough, and of course you get regular accountings of E.U. activities, especially those that involve Greece in some way.

Every story - whether it is about the Cypriot plane crash, Katrina's devastation, or rising produce prices, has the same dramatic music. And I mean dramatic. If you aren't paying attention to the news at all, you might think something tragic happened, and you turn and look, and it is some old woman complaining about some inane thing in her neighborhood. For example, right now, I heard some tragic music, and they are doing a story about "toilet candy", candy that comes in a small plastic toilet. "Oh, it isn't suitable for children! It is horrifying! How can they allow such a thing!" Yea, ok. Not only that, but they have a panel of journalists, politicians, whoever the hell they are, TALKING about this toilet candy. Yes, it definitely needs to take up 10 minutes of the news.

Which leads me to another fun and exciting part of Greek news - the talking heads. Yes, for any subject, no matter how insipid, they may or may not have a panel of speakers arguing heatedly over the topic at hand. Sure, I've enjoyed panel shows on American news networks, but not about ridiculous subjects (like toilet candy).

And the absolute best part of Greek news? The pictures they show in the background of some unrelated incident while they talk about something new. Yes, they could be showing an automobile accident from 3 years ago while talking about an accident that happened today. What an incredibly professional thing to do! They don't even always label it "archived footage" either.

I also have to say that I am not certain there is a lot of fact checking in Greek journalism. Not that I fact-checked this fact. But they did a story once, claiming there was something posted on a website, and I didn't believe it, and went to that website right as the news story was going on, and didn't find it. I combed the website looking for it to no avail. Sometimes I think they take whatever they first hear from whatever news agency they hear it from and report it as news (live and exclusive news, at that!). They'll steal a video feed from CNN or SkyNews and even though it still clearly says CNN or SkyNews on it, the Greek channel will superimpose their station name over the video.

And the absolute worst thing about Greek news - weather is an afterthought. It is no secret that I am a weather junkie. It has become even more important to stay abreast of the weather since I have to hang clothes outside to dry. But I just have to have my weather. Not only do I have to have my weather, I need to have nice radar and satellite images. I don't get that anymore. I have to go the local Nashville news channel sites to live vicariously through their radar images.

At least the Greek Public stations have some semi-decent news. I catch the news on NET every night before Andromeda comes on. It comes across as more professional and not very dramatic.
Still, it wouldn't hurt them to get us some local radar. I just need a nightly fix!

7 comments:

The SeaWitch said...

You mean you DIDN'T like the 10 minute segment a couple of years ago about Miss Turkey 1987 vacationing in Mykonos? hahaha As for the story which was entirely untrue and aired on Alpha (I think)...could it have been the fake report on women who performed oral sex on men improved their health? I checked that one immediately and it was so obviously a hoax that I wrote Kathimerini, Athens News Alter and Alpha to complain about their complete disregard for journalistic ethics. I rarely ever watch Greek news anymore and thank the Internet Gods every day that there is such a thing as online news.

Anonymous said...

The one thing you should remember about news channels is that you can easily link the "news" to the person who owns it. It amazes me the amount of rubbish that is reported, especially the showbiz/gossip side of the news which in reality is just getting free publicity for a nobody who happens to be friends with the stations owner. I think Thano stated it perfectly with his description of "celebs".

I've never liked the news on Star as it's always been gutter trash. The only Greek channel I tune into for news now is NET (talking of which, it's 3pm, it's on now). They don't go for the spooky music all the time however they still do the 'split screen' from time to time with people arguing over the serious earth shattering news items such as 'What tastes best? Coke or Pepsi?' and that does annoy me.

However I would choose NET over any of the domestic news channels I saw in the United States. CNN International is not a bad channel, I've never minded it but the two CNN channels I picked up in the States both were terrible. One was almost permanant Larry King kind of programs. The other claimed to: "report the latest news from the US and around the world" - well I saw nothing from around the world. Although one story was reported from near the US-Canada border so I suppose that might count. So really the situation there is no better. Also has anyone ever seen a news item on Fox? If so, drop me an email.

Your final point on weather, I always see the weather at the end of the broadcasts, even when they are pushed for time, they still make sure they mention the conditions in Athens and Thessaloniki. Although why they report the weather in Thessaloniki I don't know. Who care's so long as they do an indebth report on conditions in Attiki?

melusina said...

Yes, you can't count on world news in America. I was amazed at how much more I learned about the world after I moved here. It is amazing to me how CNN International and CNN America can be so different. I realized quickly that in America, they keep you in a fishbowl - unless you venture forth on your own to find news, you aren't going to get much but whatever the powers that be want to spoon feed you at the moment.

And as to weather, yea, they do the weather, but it isn't the comprehensive 5 day forecast, radar, etc. they do in America. And I care about the weather in Thessaloniki, dammit. =p

Anonymous said...

It´s more or less the same in Portugal… again… We are much alike, greeks and portuguese, aren’t we? But I think you have very good journalism. I got the habit of reading Kathimerini in the net, (English edition) early in the mornig, and I think it is a very good newspaper.

António

melusina said...

Kathimerini is a good newspaper. I guess I was talking more about TV news, which I always substandard, even in America.

I think Greece probably shares a lot with Portugal, and some of the other more relaxed countries in Europe. Which is good, I really like the laid back lifestyle. =)

Anonymous said...

Well I thought of your thread as I was watching the 3pm news on NET. Today is 5 September and tonight marks the beginning of the NEW! IMPROVED! WONDERFUL! nightly news program of NET! Starts tonight at 9pm! I'm kinda guessing it just means they got a new studio or something!!

Anonymous said...

Oh...

Greece and Portugal are alike! I agree, except one country WON EURO 2004 whereas the other one came second...

Mmmm, let me take a moment to remind myself how that happened...