Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Odd behavior

OK, this is something I really don't get about Greeks. Whenever a group of growers from the agrarian industry goes on "strike" or wants better prices, they proceed to dump and destroy their produce. How exactly does that help them? Is this the "oh, well if they won't pay more for my produce noone can have it then" attitude? Don't they lose money by destroying the produce? It makes zero sense to me.

Greek growers don't make the best peaches anyway. I miss Georgia peaches. Ohhh, and vidalia onions. Damn.

2 comments:

Kat Coble said...

We've done that here, too.

http://www.albany.edu/jmmh/vol1no1/dairy2.html

The milk strikes of 1939....farmers were dumping their milk in protest.

melusina said...

Well yea, but that was 1939. I am sure some people still do it now and then, perhaps not their whole crop, but symbolically. They do it ALL the time here, and then complain about how poor they are. Well, don't dump your produce then!